Government should plan for the end of the use of natural gas for heat by:
- banning new connections to the gas network from 2025
- regulating, by 2025, to end the use of fossil fuel heating in commercial buildings over 1,000m2 by 2035
- ending the sale of all new fossil fuel boilers in 2035
- making provisions for the process of disconnecting customers and decommissioning, or repurposing, the gas network
- establishing a mechanism for local democratic input into decommissioning plans
- working with Ofgem and the Health and Safety Executive on a plan to ensure the switch is safe and efficient and that consumers in vulnerable circumstances are protected.