Rail Needs Assessment for the Midlands and the North | Study
Over the summer of 2020, Britainthinks undertook extensive social research into public attitudes to rail travel and rail investment in the Midlands and the North to support the Commission’s Rail Needs Assessment. The objectives of the research were to:
- Identify and understand what current users value about the railways
- Identify the key barriers to using rail among non-users
- Establish the public in these regions’ key priorities for future rail investment
- Explore which factors might encourage railway use
- Explore how priorities might change depending on type of rail user, location, and other factors.
Over 3,000 members of the British public living in the Midlands and the North were engaged through a combinations of workshops and an online survey. This report sets out the findings of this research.